Happy Earth Day!
It’s been 5.5 years since we decided to be a single car family and it is amazing how normal it feels only having one car. My husband has also been diligent about bike commuting at least twice a week and Earth Day fell on his bike commuting day so he started the day off green!
My day has been green too as I likely won’t be using the car. I started my day off with three 20 minute meditation sessions from the current meditation series I am doing. Afterwards I went out for a run and did some weeding outside and picked some fresh strawberries!
Three years ago we built a home made composter with materials we had at home. Based on having our house on the market we got rid of the composter and didn’t do a garden this year but hope to reinstate those two elements in the future after we settle back down into our next home.
One of my friend’s has a huge backyard with hundreds of rare fruit trees and other plans and waters his land with a grey water system.
Here’s some other things we do to try and contribute positively to the planet and benefit future generations:
- Eat plant based diet
- Use reusable or paper bags
- Use environmentally friendly cleaning, laundry and personal care products
- Hang dry clothes when possible
- Reduce using paper towels and plastic bags and use more reusable lunch/snack bags and washable towels
- Cook at home as much as possible and utilize the food we buy to avoid waste
- Recycle product packaging
- Goodwill items we can’t use in hopes it can be used by someone else instead of put in the landfill
- Drive one fuel efficient car & motorcycle
- Bike commute when possible
- Use plant based cat litter and throw away in paper bags
I’ve enjoyed reading articles and posts today about great things happening in the world to make it a better place!
What do you do to be kind to the Earth? Every little bit helps! Happy Earth Day today and every day!